Racket and klanc drums
This idea has been brought to life
Hi, my name is Marek but I answer to Maz. I am a compulsive maker and fixer and I have been making things since I was young. Amongst other things, I have built a telescope, a house, a recording studio, musical instruments, a theremin, a wind turbine, bicycle powered smoothie machine, video rocket and a full sized UFO. And as part of the Star and Shadow II build team, I also built a cinema. In my spare time, I run Fixit Cafe, a loose collection of individuals devoted to preventing landfill and a choir of noisy singers (noizechoir).
Amelia is a big music fan, her favourite band is Queen, she especially loves Bohemian Rhapsody. The Racket and Klanc Drums will make charging phones fun instead of a chore whilst also being sustainably powered. Magnifico!!
Maker blog entries
The frame was cut out to accomodate the drums to complete the project the rotating music notes needed to rotate ink keeping with the design however the energy needed to rotate it was more than the air being emitted from the drums so I decided to attach a ratchet to the Hi hat pedal for rotational effect. The music sign was painted onto a drum skin and fixed to a recycled fan motor which acted as a bearing for the rotating sign.
I found away to secure the turbines onto the underside of the drums using spring loaded plate hangers. I used galvanised steel builders strapping to create a bridge mount for the turbines at the correct distance and placement from the hole in the drumskins with a special adaptation for the bass drum using some rope
I thought the turbine could be put to good effect by connecting up all of the drums and feeding all of the air generated to the generator.
Many plastic skinned drums like a drum kit have holes in them to let the pressure out when you hit them and this helps to make the drum sound good. When you hit a drum the air escapes in a puff and I thought we could use this to drive a turbine and generate electricity
I have also been researching micro wind turbines. and I found an inexpensive nicely designed and efficient model turbine.
I tried to improve efficiency of the drum vent hole by fitting a one way valve on the drumskin. I cut a circular hole in the skin and used silicone sealant to bond it to the drum skin. In my eagerness to try it out the valve fell off. However on trying out the generator on the open hole the efficiency was much improved and the light was brighter and more constant.